Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Marvel Legends Infinite Spider-Man ( BAF ) Hobgoblin Review !!!

I have finally completed the Hobgoblin build-a-figure . First I'll discuss him as a character first then as a toy second. This is NOT the original Hobgoblin . This guy is a man known as Phil Ulrich . Unlike the original , this guy has mechanical wings on his back whereas the original flew on a glider . The face on the mask is different as well .In the comics this version of Hobgoblin also has a super power that is a screeching sonic laugh that can cause physical discomfort.  Here's a look at this Hobgoblin figure complete.
Here you see him with everything that is supposed to belong to him except for the orange fireball accessory. I could not figure out how to make it fit into either of his hands at the time I took the above pic but figured it out later .The fireball accessory fits better into his left hand, the tailend of the fireball can be used like a handle. The flaming sword can easily fit into either hand.
Back to this version of Hobby as a character for a moment . Unlike the original , this Hobgoblin sometimes worked for the Kingpin of Crime AKA Wilson Fisk , whereas the original Hobgoblin was a loner and worked by himself. Also this version of Hobgoblin has fought against super heroes other than Spider-Man . I have this issue of "Herc" where he's also showing that he is a pretty good fighter . See in the pics below.

You must purchase the second issue of " Herc " if you want to see the whole story of the above comic. As you can see this Hobgoblin is pretty good at hand to hand combat, giving this former Avenger a good beating . Now back to the toy. Below is a closer look at his wings from the back . 
Unfortunately the wings are not articulated, however they look cool. If you look closely you can see scratches on the wings. The handle for his sword is a nice homage to the comics, because in the comics , the flame is not always there. It must be activated before it is displayed, than comes out of the handle's holster . Similar to the way light sabers operate from the Star Wars franchise . Now for a comparison shot of this Hobgoblin being compared to the original Hobby from Toybiz . 
I could not find my old Toybiz Hobby for a side by side shot. Plus I did not have the extra free time to look for him ,so I just compared the new Hobby to this old picture I took of my original Toybiz Hobgoblin figure. As you can see when viewed side by side, there are many differences . I was shocked to see so many differences despite the similar color scheme of both characters. The differences are orange boots compared to dark blue ones , a cape compared to wings, as for the head the new Hobby features pointy ears whereas the old one does not feature any ears . Now for a comparison shot of the new Hobgoblin to the Spider-Man figure that is in the same toy series. 
Pictured above is one of the figures that you need to purchase to complete Hobby. I have not yet reviewed this Spider-Man figure yet but will . 

FINAL   THOUGHTS 

( 1 ) ARTICULATION - Hobby has perfect all around articulation and it is the same basic articulation as any normal Marvel Legend Hasbro figure . The hood somewhat restricts head movement a little. 

( 2 ) STANDING  ABILITY - The wings make him a little top heavy, so you would have to adjust his legs by pulling one slightly behind the other for a proper stance. He stands well once the legs are properly adjusted. 

( 3 ) WHAT  I  LIKE  BEST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? I'm mainly glad this version of Hobgoblin is made mainly because I think he is a cool super villain . He has an impressive super power with his sonic laugh and as we saw that he is also a good fighter . Toywise, I love the flaming sword accessory and the wings. 

( 4 ) WHAT  I  LIKE  LEAST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? I wish the hood did not restrict the head movement . Other than this flaw I'm okay with the figure overall.

( 5 ) WHAT  COULD  HAVE  BEEN  DONE  TO  IMPROVE  THE  FIGURE ? Articulate the wings, make the hood removable. As a matter of fact it actually is removable, if you cut his ears off you can remove the hood . The ears hold his hood in place. However, many of us fans do not want to mess up our action figures like that, unless you're a customizer . 

( 6 ) GRADING SCALE - I would give a Perfect 10 but because of the issue with the hood restricting head movement a little, I think a 9.8 is generous .

( 7 ) FINAL  ANALYSIS - I'm glad to finally have this guy as a Marvel Legend because I have been dreaming about him as a Marvel Legend action figure since I first saw him in the comics. I did not imagine him being a build-a-figure though, I thought he was just going to be a normal regular Marvel Legend . However, build-a-figure or regular figure, it's great to have a newbie villain from the Spider-Man Marvel Legends Rogues Gallery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment