Translate

Friday, August 26, 2016

DC Comics Icons - Atomica Review !!!

DC Comics Icons figures can be found in person at your local comic book store . I'm not sure that the regular retail stores such as Target and Walmart carry them . I purchased my copy of Atomica at a local comic book store for exactly 30 dollars . This is my first DC Icons figure .




After the DC Universe Classics line got discontinued, when I heard about this line I was thinking of using it as a replacement for DCU Classics, or at least use these figures to add onto the Classics. Now let's have a look at not only Atomica, but her little buddies that she comes with, out of the packaging. First a look at Atomica , then onto the mini Atom figures of Ryan Choi and Ray Palmer , along with the other accessories.



Her code name is Atomica, but her real name is Rhonda Pineda . When I purchased this figure I knew nothing about her, I was thinking that she was probably a hero because she looks heroic. However I soon learned that she was a villain as a member of the Crime Syndicate of Earth 3 . Not only that but she was the girlfriend of Crime Syndicate member Johnny Quick and also suffered a fatal demise by Lex Luthor . She has the same size altering powers as the original Atom . That's a summary of Atomica the character, now for a summary of this action figure . I like the figure, my only complaints are that the there's no upward head movement , not due to her hair however. The hair is somewhat soft and rubbery, she just does not have the ball joints in her neck for upward head movement. The other gripe is that she may be a little bit too short to try to fit her in with DCU Classics. The face looks really nice and her brown eyes are nicely done with great detail. I wish that the goggles on her forehead were removable but they are not. They still look nice however and shine nicely under good light. The belt is another outstanding feature on the figure,which could probably be removed with some scissors if you desire so. Now let's look at the little guys she comes with .



Ray Palmer is the atom that is the shortest, under two inches tall . Ryan Choi is the one that's almost three inches tall however he stands a little over two inches. The atomic accessory was obviously made for Ray Palmer, as you can see in the above pics. Palmer also has no articulation whereas Choi does. Choi can move his head side to side, and his arms and legs move up and down, no outward movement in the arms or legs. Now for a better look at the other accessories.

The atomic particle accessory is actually two pieces that you can put together. I think this is a cool accessory not just in the looks department, but because it's like a demonstration of the Atom's powers at work . The interchangeable open palm hands belong to Atomica , so we are given the luxury of being able to display her with closed fists or open palms. Now for a comparison shot with two DCU Classics.
After making this comparison, I'm not sure if the DC Icon figures can be successfully blended in with DCU Classics without looking somewhat awkward. Even Robin kind of towers over this figure of Atomica, and he's supposed to be a teenager. Unless Rhonda Pineda is supposed to be extremely short, blending her in with Classics might be stretching things a bit. My attempts to find out her height were unsuccessful .
                                              FINAL    THOUGHTS 

(1) ARTICULATION - Atomica has nice all around articulation except in the head. She can not look upward .

(2) STANDING  ABILITY - You may have to pose her a certain way to get her to stand properly without falling, because of the tiny feet . However once you find that right pose she stands nicely.

(3) WHAT  I  LIKE  BEST  ABOUT THIS  FIGURE ? - Atomica's face is nicely done with a very realistic look , especially her eyes. The luxury of having interchangeable hands, allowing multiple display options . Also the other extra accessories .

(4) WHAT  I  LIKE  LEAST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? - Although I was kind of bummed about the restricted head movement, I can get over it and already have.

(5) WHAT  COULD  HAVE  BEEN  DONE  TO  IMPROVE  THIS  FIGURE ? Fix the problem with the head movement .

(6) GRADING  SCALE - Atomica figure only 9.8 . The minus is for lack of looking upward. Overall Package - a Perfect 10 !!! One action figure , two bonus mini figures plus the hands and the atom particles makes a great buy !!!

(7) FINAL  ANALYSIS - Since I love six inch scaled action figures, Atomica being in this scale along with me wanting to add onto my DCU Classic Collection , made me want to purchase this figure . Is she worth the 30 bucks I spent on her ? The figure only, in my opinion no. I think the figure alone should be around maybe the 19.99 range. However when you add all of the extra accessories she comes with then yeah, the 30 dollar price tag seems reasonable .

No comments:

Post a Comment