Translate

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Masters of the Universe Classics - Huntara Review .

Here we have another Filmation character in the month of March , Huntara .If you have a 2015 Club Eternia subscription, then you know that she comes packaged with Oo-lar , a figure I plan on reviewing later this weekend . Huntara is originally from one episode of She-Ra , titled "Huntara ". This is easy to remember since her name is also the title of the episode.  You can view the one and only episode she is in on Youtube . Here's a link to that episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHr1iWz69U . Now before I move on to the review, I want to pause for a moment and give a shout out to the 200X MOTU Classic mini sub being a success . The goal was reached and we will finally be getting figures of  Veena AKA Queen Grayskull, Evil Seed among others . Now on to the Huntara figure .


Huntara's bio definitely sticks 100% all the way with everything that happened in the cartoon episode . Nothing has been changed or altered . Now let's have a look at Huntara out of the packaging .


This figure is outstanding . I've taken pictures of her using the flash on my camera and without the flash so you can see the details better . I love everything about her . The ponytail is soft and bendy . I also love the fact that all of her joints seem to be extremely tight . I like this a lot . No loose ankles or loose knees . Her shoulder pads are also bendy . Her gold wrist bracelets do provide somewhat of a nice shine when displayed under good lighting , and I love the two sockets on her back that you can store her swords in . Speaking of swords , her's remind me of light sabers from Star Wars because of the translucent light bluish color . They even glow like light sabers in the cartoon , the toy ones have no glow effect however they are still cool . Also , the swords are the only accessories that come with Huntara that actually belong to her . There is another accessory , an axe , although it is meant for the fellow toy mate she comes mailed with , Oo-Lar . Speaking of Oo-lar's axe , I'll talk about the axe in his review and not in this one, since it is actually his axe anyway . Now for some pics of Huntara being displayed with her swords while they are in the sockets on the back .


As you can see Huntara looks cool no matter how she is displayed . Rather she has the swords in her hands or in the hooks on her back . Even though everything is nice about this figure including her accessories, there is one accessory that is missing that does not exist that she should be packaged with . And if you've seen the episode she is in, then you already know what I'm referring to .  The pic below ...............
When we are first introduced to Huntara, her face is covered in what appears to be a shawl or a mask . The toy did not come with this piece . It would have been nice if it did . Either as an extra head or just the piece by itself would have been nice to have . Maybe we can hope for a Huntara masked head in a 2nd or 3rd wave of " The Heads of Eternia " series , if the "Heads of Eternia" goes beyond one wave that is . The pic you see above was taken with my camera off of Youtube . I hit the pause button and snapped the pic . Speaking of Huntara the cartoon character , how about a comparison shot of the toon and the toy ?
Do you notice the differences and similarities ? I'm just going to point out the differences , which are not many . There is no need to point out the similarities since they are all noticeably visible for the eyes to see. Here are the differences ...
( 1 ) The bra piece is a different color. On the toon it appears to be a dark blue or purple whereas on the toy it is black .

( 2 ) The Horsemen sculpted the black crotch piece on the figure whereas the toon does not have one .

Those are the only differences between the toon and the toy. Everything else is 100% accurate . However I'm okay with these things, the little changes do not bother me . The purpose of the comparison shot is to show that not everything is 100% accurate . For those of you whom may be bothered by it and want every little detail to be 100% accurate , you can always customize the figure or have a customizer do it for you . To make the figure look 100% like the cartoon , all you have to do is paint the bra piece the color it is in the toon and remove the crotch piece , along with painting the shorts underneath the same color as the toon .

Now for another comparison of a different nature. I'm comparing the figure to a real life person . Grace Jones as her " Zula " character from the Conan movie series of the 1980s .
 Why Grace Jones ? Well for starters , I've read some comments on the message boards on He-man.org where some fans claim this figure/ character reminds them of Grace portraying her Zula character . Now before I go any further , no one here is making fun of the lovely Grace Jones, including myself . I think Grace is an attractive lady and so is Huntara , so this comparison is not trying to be negative or funny . It is here to point out the similarities between Grace's Zula character and Huntara .I do not think that Huntara looks like Grace in the face, but there are similarities in the two characters . They both have mohawk type hairstyles and their outfits / costumes are similar , plus they both have muscular bodies and they both are warrior women . Grace Jones could have easily played this character with some pink body paint when she was younger .
Now while the above pic is not meant to be funny , however the one below is .
As already mentioned , the axe belongs to Oo-lar even though it comes with Huntara . I will add a little humor to the posts every now and then , to keep things light hearted and not too serious . Also as already mentioned Oo-lar will be reviewed later in the week .
                                                    FINAL  THOUGHTS 
( 1 ) ARTICULATION - Huntara has the same basic regular articulation as any MOTUC figure . I'm still wondering why the female figures do not have an ab crunch , however not having one does not take away the coolness from the figure .

( 2 ) STANDING  ABILITY - The figure stands fine with no balance issues .

( 3 ) WHAT  I  LIKE  BEST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? - How accurate it is to the cartoon . Her swords, her sword hooks , her costume and gold bracelets. Also love the mohawk and the tattoos on the sides of her head .

( 4 ) WHAT  I  LIKE  LEAST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? - Nothing . There is nothing that I dislike about this figure .

( 5 ) WHAT  COULD  HAVE  BEEN  DONE  TO  IMPROVE  THE  FIGURE ? - Include an extra masked head or the mask piece, hoodie, shawl or whatever we prefer to call it with the figure . Despite the missing mask I'm still proud about this figure .

( 6 ) GRADING  SCALE - A PERFECT 10 !!! A flawless piece of art done by the Horsemen .

( 7 ) FINAL  ANALYSIS - Huntara was originally a character I did not care about having an action figure of before the figure itself was introduced to the public . Once I saw pictures of the figure my mind and thoughts about her quickly changed and I'm glad it did . Now not only is she not just one of my favorite MOTU Classic figures, but one of my favorite figures period, regardless of toy line .

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! The extra masked head would have been a really neat feature to include but I'm not feeling like the figure is lacking without it. Just Huntara's face makes me think of Kim Kardashian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbecue17 !!! I agree the missing mask head does not take the coolness away from the figure . And since you mentioned it, I never thought of Kim K. when looking at Huntara, just Grace Jones . Good observation .

    ReplyDelete