Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2013

WWE Elite Collection Series 22 - TENSAI

I think the WWE Mattel figures are some of the coolest action figures ever made. In my opinion, they look superior to the Jakks Pacific WWE figures. It also seems that not too many toy reviewers review these figures. I will be reviewing a lot of WWE Mattel figures and Tensai becomes the first WWE Mattel action figure that I review. In real life, he began his WWE career as Prince Albert . I know this from formerly watching pro wrestling, but I lost interest in it after watching a documentary questioning its realism .  For those of you whom may not know, the Elite series contains the figures with the most articulation.

Even though the bio on the back of the packaging makes no mention of Tensai's days as Prince Albert, if you don't take my word for it then do a Google or Wikipedia check on him, it's true. As for the figure itself, it is very well sculpted, very detailed and comes with two accessories. One accessory I like and the other not so much. The accessory that I like is the helmet. The fun part about this is that you can put it on other figures that have a similar head size. Customizers may also enjoy using it for custom made figures or characters.
 The robe on the other hand looks good although I am not a fan of the plastic clothing. The plastic restricts arm movement, therefor I prefer the clothing to be made of cloth or a softer plastic.




As you can see you have several options on how you want Tensai displayed. With or without his helmet, with or without his robe, etc . The figure as I mentioned earlier is very detailed. The tattoos and ear rings under his bottom lip are nicely done.
One of the main characteristics I love about the WWE Mattel figures is that unlike most other action figure lines these figures use different body parts for almost every character. Mattel pays great attention to how the wrestlers look in real life, and they implement these characteristics into the toys. You will not find too many of these figures sharing the same body parts, with the exception of most of the WWE Divas. Even though the WWE Mattel figures are in 6 " scale, as you can see above Tensai is around 7 inches tall. This is because he is one of the bigger than normal wrestlers. I love how Mattel stays true to the real heights and body styles of all the wrestlers, both male and female.
My favorite accessory that Tensai comes with is his helmet. And the pics below illustrate the reason why.

As you can see you can easily place his helmet on other figures of similar stature.
                                                FINAL   THOUGHTS
(1) ARTICULATION - The articulation is excellent with the exception of the head movement being somewhat restricted when trying to maneuver up and down.
(2) STANDABILITY - There are no balance issues. Surprisingly the extra body girth does not make him top heavy, he stands up very well.
(3) WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT THE TENSAI ACTION FIGURE? The tattoos are nicely done. The figure itself is cool but what really allured me to purchase Tensai is the helmet.
(4) WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT THE TENSAI ACTION FIGURE ? There's nothing I dislike about the figure although it could have been better with looser head movement .
(5) WHAT COULD HAVE MADE THE FIGURE BETTER ? Looser restriction on head movement. Some hand articulation would be nice also. This does not just apply to Tensai but ALL WWE Mattel figures. With articulated fingers it would be easier to pose a lot of these guys ( and gals ) performing their finishing maneuvers.
(6) GRADING SCALE - On a scale of 1-10 I give this action figure a 9.0 . The minuses being for somewhat limited up and down head movement and non-articulated fingers. However as I already mentioned the non-articulated fingers apply to all the WWE Mattel figures, not just Tensai.
(7) FINAL  ANALYSIS - Overall I am pleased with the Tensai action figure. For those old school collectors that want an action figure of Prince Albert, all you have to do is purchase Tensai. He looks the same back then as he does now, with the exception of a few new tattoos. He may not have the same name anymore but visually anyone can see that it is definitely the same guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment