Translate

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Marvel Legends Infinite Series Spider-Man - BOOMERANG REVIEW !!!

Sub titled " Deadliest Foes" , Boomerang is a variant or running change of this series . I purchased him at a local Walmart for $ 19.99 . Just like the Spider-Girl variant of the same series , I waited on this figure to arrive locally in stores rather than paying extremely high prices for him on places like Ebay . For those of you whom may not know, this is the first Marvel Legend figure of Boomerang , as he did not have a figure in the Toybiz line . A neat looking figure, however I wish Hasbro had went with his original look rather than this one . The reasons why are because I like the original colors better plus this version is too similar in color scheme to Bullseye.


Below is the aforementioned reference I was making about Boomerang's similarities to Bullseye, design wise . Notice how they both have almost the exact same bluish gray and white streaks color scheme .
When you remove Boomerang from the packaging , he is an excellent figure with all around articulation . As for accessories he comes with four small boomerangs along with the piece you attach to a hole in his upper back. As you can see you can store those extra boomerangs back there when he's not holding any in his hands.


Besides his trademark weapons , Boomerang also comes with the left leg of this series build a figure "the ultimate Green Goblin " . It is also worth noting that the boomerangs fit firmly in his left hand but not so securely in his right hand . If you want him to firmly hold one in his right hand , you would have to twist his wrist around to a position where a boomerang will not fall out of the hand . Also below is a tossing / throwing pose you can display him in as if he's about to toss the weapon .


As for you "new school" Spider-Man fans that have not seen Boomerang's original look , here it is from a comic book scan . Also below is a comparison shot of this actual figure compared to the original comic book version .

So everyone, which version would you have preferred Hasbro to make ? Myself , while I'm happy with the toy we got , I still would rather have the original version . Plus I like the colors blue and purple better than gray and white. Plus he looks too much like Bullseye. I do not like my action figures looking alike, I prefer each and every character to have their own unique individual look . This is my only complaint about this Boomerang figure other than that an excellent all around action figure .
                                           FINAL   THOUGHTS 
( 1 ) ARTICULATION - Excellent all around articulation . After being absent for a while on a lot of figures, the up and down all around head movement is slowly coming back with more recent figures, including this one .
( 2 ) STANDING  ABILITY - There are no balance issues to complain about . Boomerang stands perfectly without falling .
( 3 ) WHAT  I  LIKE  BEST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? It feels good to add another Spidey villain that has not been made before into my collection . Plus I love his boomerangs and his boomerang rack that attaches to his back .
( 4 ) WHAT  I  LIKE  LEAST  ABOUT  THIS  FIGURE ? As I've already mentioned , he looks too much like Bullseye. This is my only gripe .
( 5 ) WHAT  COULD  HAVE  BEEN  DONE  TO  IMPROVE  THIS FIGURE ? Should have made it easier for his right hand to hold the boomerangs also .
( 6 ) GRADING  SCALE  - On a scale of 1 to 10 I give this figure a 9.5 . The minus is for being unable to securely fit the boomerangs in his right hand . I also wish that the original version was made instead of this one, however this option is not a reason in determining the Grading Scale score of this figure. Even though it's the same person, both the original and this look are their own unique designs and should be judged differently.
( 7 ) FINAL  ANALYSIS - It feels great to add Boomerang to my collection of classic Spider-Man villains . Customizers out there that prefer the original look may have to use another figure / character altogether to make an original version . This version looks like it will be difficult to customize into the original look. This version of Boomerang also reminds me of one of the former super heroes from The Incredibles just a little. In the face he kind of reminds me of the character referred to as Gazerbeam . That makes two different characters that this figure reminds me of . Bullseye and Gazerbeam . One in the face and the other costume wise. One in he shares the world of Marvel with and the other from a whole different franchise altogether. However despite looking like characters that already exist ,  Boomerang is still very much worthy of adding to your collection .

4 comments:

  1. Exactly! The original version is always best. I do not even recognize modern Marvel today. The characters were unchanged for DECADES and all of a sudden in the 2000's everyone is redesigned AND had their race or sex change. It is a disgrace. That is why I stick to 1970's Marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point made Hobby. Among the characters to undergo these changes, Luke Cage is another that I prefer his original look over the updated version. Along with the Beetle. I prefer his green and purple color scheme over the red and silver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am in agreement I don't like the designs and looks of a lot of the Marvel characters these days some do work for like Captain American's but others like Boomerang's doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also guys it's not just the designs on a lot of characters that have changed but the colors as well. Example the Beetle going from green and purple to red and silver .

    ReplyDelete